Friday, April 11, 2008

Part 1:

What I paddle and why.
The story of the Sea Wind: Solo Expedition Canoes.


















The Sea Wind:
A solo-expedition canoe built by the late Verlen Kruger.

People have said, "is that a kayak?". I usually don't try to explain the differences in boat designs or the history of the canoe & kayak, so I usually tell them its a hybrid. What Verlen accomplished in this boat design is combining the some of the best features of both types of crafts creating the ultimate paddling boat. The Sea Wind is the most comfortable canoe I have ever paddled. I have been in plenty of sea kayaks and was always uncomfortable. In a sea kayak I was always crammed in the cockpit with no freedom to move about.. Like a foot in a tight shoe. I like to move around, have good circulation in my legs and ventilation of fresh air so that I'm not roasting like being inside a plastic bag on a hot summers day. I wanted to feel the wind on my legs and be able to get out of the boat on a moments notice without having to make a big production out of it. So after paddling the Sea Wind during a test drive with Verlen back in 97, I vowed never to get back in a sea kayak ever again. From that day on I have enjoyed the long days of paddling sometimes putting in 15 hours without ever getting out the canoe. Its THAT comfortable! Comfort relates to efficiency and speed as well. If your not comfortable you certainly cannot paddle efficiently, if you then not efficient you will then be sloppy and fatigue will set in causing more inefficiency in your paddling. It will then become a bear and unpleasant. I find those long 10-hour days very enjoyable. End of Part 1.

No comments: