Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What I paddle and why? The story of the Sea Wind: Solo Expedition
Canoes. Part 3:




Part Three: Another great feature in the Sea Wind is its construction strength. It has 12 layers of Kevlar in the hull! Kevlar is what bullet proof-vest are made of and so are many canoe because of its light weight and strength. The Sea Wind holds the record as the boat with the most layers of Kevlar than any other canoe or kayak manufactured in the world. Most manufacturers use 2-4 layers, much less than this canoe. I've had mine come off the top of my truck going down the road at about 50mph, watched it cartwheel, and only suffered a few minor nicks and scratches. When
Verlen Kruger was alive back in the late 90's he showed me how strong they were by smashing the bottom with a hammer...it just bounced off. Try this with any other canoe or sea kayak and you will disappointed. I've dragged my boat over logs, rocks, sand bars, hit pipes, submerged cars, dropped, and watch the wind blow it around my yard without harming it. This is the ideal expedition canoe for those wanting to go beyond the normal range of exploration. Verlen used this same design to paddle two expeditions one being 28,000 miles and the other about 21,000 miles. Each took more than two years to complete. This boat handled the waters off of Alaska, the west coast of the U.S to Baja, the Atlantic coast, the Caribbean, Amazon, the Great Lakes, the Yukon and rounded Cape Horn Argentina as well. I feel this boat will last me the rest of my life for solo paddling. Combined with comfort, effieciency, strength, manuverability, and roominess this to me is the ultimate tripping canoe.

No comments: